Friday, November 18, 2005

Amazon pricing weirdness -- Digital Rebel XT

This is weird. I'd heard Amazon plays some odd games with their prices. They sell the extremely popular Canon Digital Rebel XT in two versions, with and without lens. To see prices you need to add the items to one's cart. I added both. The version WITH the lens is $5.00 cheaper than the version without the lens.
Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only - Black) - Canon
Usually ships in 24 hours
$829.94

Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) - Canon
Usually ships in 24 hours
$824.99
So is this a goof, or some diabolical scheme?

The price for the camera WITH the lens is very competitive with the slightly seedy but not criminal vendors like 'ibuydigital.com'.

Update 11/19: Amazon just jumped the price of the lens camera to $899. So either it was a goof or I'm being punished :-). Next time that happens, I'm buying it!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I found the same thing with camera pricing here (Australia). So much so it was more sensible for me to take the twin lens kit and if I didn't like the lenses to sell them on ebay myself. The body alone vs the kit just weren't comparible in price!