Sunday, April 06, 2008

Gordon's Notes to move to notes.kateva.org: In theory, no changes required

I've been writing Gordon's Notes at the Blogger address of jfaughnan.blogspot.com since July 2003. The 4050 posts to date have a very small (but much appreciated) regular readership, but they turn up in a gratifying number of Google searches.

The writing relieves my personal frustrations, and it helps me think and learn. I enjoy it, and I intend to continue. The address, however, is about to change to notes.kateva.org, where it will join Gordon's Tech which has been tech.kateva.org for about a year. It will still be published through Blogger, kateva.org is a Google "custom domain".

There's an explanation of the name change at www.kateva.org - Welcome to Kateva.org

... I originally published under my own name, but the common business practice of searching the names of new acquaintances meant I was making a bit too much of first impression. I've since taken a few steps to move the blogs one or two steps from my "real name", including publishing under a pseudonym (John Gordon) and moving the blogs to this domain. I am not, however, too hard to find...

In theory Google will do a "301 redirect" and old feeds will continue to work. In practice, problems can occur. In particular Google doesn't redirect for some legacy Blogger (working) feeds, only for the current feeds.

So if you find this post in your Feed, and then no "it worked" post after it, you should be able to find Gordon's Notes at notes.kateva.org. The Kateva.org main page will also have news of the move.

Most blog readers will reset your "unread" count to 10 posts.

Wish me luck, I'll make the move later tonight April 6th.



Update 4/6/2008: Well, I tried the move and I got:

We're sorry, but we were unable to complete your request.
When reporting this error to Blogger Support or on the Blogger Help Group, please:
* Describe what you were doing when you got this error.
* Provide the following error code and additional information.
bX-czudlu
Additional information
blogID: 5587346
host: draft.blogger.com
uri: /blog-publishing.do
This information will help us to track down your specific problem and fix it! We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sigh. There's no real support for blogger, so I guess I'll have to see how this works out. I wonder if this blog will continue to work ...

No comments: